See more articles, reviews, fiction and poetry, including more of my writings, at group blog PLUTO'S REALM.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Morel Orel

And now for some entertainment! Those of you who know me know I'm not much on what passes for comedy in our culture, or in our lack thereof. Half the people I know sit around all night stuffing their faces with chocolate and watching buffoons do pratfalls and tell jokes that aren't funny. On the other hand, occasionally I see comic gems like The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, which I stumbled across a couple of weeks ago - a Bill Murray movie the promo of which did it no justice. The Life Aquatic is by the same director who did Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums, so rush out and get it now.

And then there's Morel Orel. If you're old enough to have seen Davey and Goliath as a kid, well, this is the anti-Davey. South Park was good but it got old; this is new and it's the funniest damn thing I've seen in a long time.

I now know Christianity is not to blame for human ignorance; it's just another symptom. I now know that in our headlong rush toward Armageddon (see, these Christian terms are useful!), it won't make any difference one way or another. We all know that ignorance rises endlessly; occasionally if feels good to see someone shoot it down with buckshot.

So if you hated church as much as I did when I was a kid, if you saw it was all bullshit and lies the first time you heard their pious mumbling out the sides of their mouths, this show is for you. I just finished the first disc of ten episodes. The above clip is the intro to one of the show episodes; the clip below is something someone did and posted on YouTube with Orel discovering drugs, with an added metal soundtrack.

Some days it just feels good to be alive.


No comments: